Thursday, December 2, 2010

small trip into dallas, bad brake switch, cooked wire, shifter, speedo cables

Oh where to begin...  shifter set screw came out leaving me stuck in reverse for a while until I could get the shifter into the forks.  Just got a new defender style shifter tower with a pressed steel pin to replace it.  OOH.  AAH.
  I had to get a cheapo generic brake switch so I could go on a field trip with my kid into dallas.  I built a temporary bracket in the cab for it where the pedal actually contacts the switch.    Some of the brass switches are crap (2 went out in three months) so I ordered an ACTUAL land rover switch to the tune of $36.  It has more epoxy around the connectors - will see how it works tomorrow.
Lets see what else ... oh yeh , backing out of the garage I noticed a light haze coming from the firewall (bulkhead) area.  I shut it off immediately and found the reverse light power wire had cooked off about 3" (75mm) of insulation for whatever reason.  It didn't seem to affect anything else- so I put a fuse inline.  It kept popping so when replacing the shifter I bet I'll find the problem with the wires. Probably nicked it putting the floor boards back in.  Just no reverse lights for now. 
And lastly the speedo cable end broke off in the speedo.  I got it out and shaved off 1/4" of speedo cable housing.  It works again but has a squeak up to 5 mph.  It'll probably go away.  Or jam up, wrap up all the wiring in the dash and catch fire going down the highway.  But that could never happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment