Tuesday, March 30, 2010

"original" color


LOTS of sanding

Alright. Enough of the West Texas camo paint scheme. I was really thinking of the marine blue because thats a really cool color. But the interior paint, for the most part, was pretty good shape. So the hunt for a limestone color was on.


Self etching primer..M.O.D.ish

Soooo....brush paint job like a lot of people do, roll on, spray, or rattle can spray? I'm going to clean up a fender, prime it with self etching primer and try to rattle can it. Then wet sand it and see if it comes out without spray lines.
If not, I'll clean it down and actually spray it.

Paint findings: Don't even look at valspar. Weak and runny and too light colored. Krylon was close and had good coverage, dupli-cote is really good but they didn't have anything in stock close to almond. Tractor Supplys I.H. off white is close but more putty colored. I chose rust-oleum almond. Its a little lighter(brighter?) but the same base color. With a little sun aging and some dirt it should age to the inside color. I have new interior door panels so they aren't a worry.
It might just work.

Trying to un-ding birmabright is a gentle process compared to regular metal. I tried tapping with a hammer to a flat piece of metal.. If you hit too hard, there will be a round "hicky" where the metal compresses. The best thing I used was a nylon hammer with my hand as a backer.

Looking better.

For the footwells I'm planning to put on herculiner on the floorboards, under the seatbox, door innards, and inside the top. This should kill some of the gear whine. I used 1 1/4 gallons of herculiner on the inside of my old bronco and the stuff was pretty amazing. Except for loading a full size truck axle in the back and scratching a hole in it, it held up to everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment